See the changes weren't so pronounced when I hit 30. But at 31 they're a whole lot more real.
SO what happens when you turn 30...1
- you stop trying to impress people with beeg words, since you know enough of them now to no longer find them impressive
- you become more accepting. I'd use the word resigned but that sounds somewhat defeatist. So yes, accepting it is. Accepting of your lot and the many jugs of lemonade that life has had you make
- the phrase, 'it's a lemon' finally makes sense. Realising that it has much to do with sucking gives you great joy. (I know, too much citrus., I'd best change track before I give someone an ulcer)
- You're more comfortable with your body no matter what the shape. You understand it better and know that if there's something you don't like about it, only you have the power to change it
- You accept the fact that not everyone will have the heartstopping romance that novels promise. And that having 'comfortable' ; ' supportive'; ' friend' - in the long run these things can count for a lot more. Besides, your firsts were pretty impressive by your own standards and those are the only standards that matter anyway
- you no longer believe everything you read
- you finally concede that there is no Utopia. Not within religion. Nor without. It's all about carving that body shaped niche. One that is large enough to accomodate even your inconsistensies.
- you realise that while black and white is a striking contrast and most fetching when it comes to colouring your world, it's also very limiting. You begin to explore all the shades in between and thank Allah every day for allowing to the ability to do so
- You befriend Allah and discover minifestations of His Supreme clemency in tiny gestures each day. And know with all your heart that He has bigger things to worry about than the length of a man's beard or a woman's hair for that matter
- you begin to discover what makes life so precious
So yeah, being 30...1 is not bad. It's atually pretty good. If you're real about it. And I'm all for real.